Chapter 94 was established on November 16, 2013 in Wilmington, Delaware. This 501(c)(3) non-profit organization is the Delaware affiliate of the National Association for Black Veterans, Inc.
Founding Chapter Command Council 2013 – Present
- Commander/President – Sgt. Nolan S. Lewis, BA/BS & VSO
Nolan S. Lewis is the founding Commander of Chapter 94. In November 2013 Nolan and five other Charter members established the Delaware affiliate of the National Association for Black Veterans Incorporated. Delaware was the 94th Chapter to join the National organization since its creation in 1969.
In October 1977 Nolan joined the U.S. Military; where he spent 3 years in Germany and 3 years on home soil. As a honorably discharged veteran, Nolan returned to school where he earned dual degrees in Management Information Systems (MS) and Business Administration (BA). Shortly after he was employed by the State of Delaware.
With an enormous passion to help others, Nolan is no stranger to community activism, and has maintained memberships in the following capacities:
- Del Tech Alumni Association (Member/Vice President – 8+ years)
- Elks Improved Benevolent Protective Order Elks World – EIBPOW (Member – 25+ years)
- Free and Accepting York Rite Mason Prince Hall Origin – F.A.A.Y.M PHO (Masonic brethren – 22+ years)
- Veterans of Foreign War – VFW, Sons of Legion (Member – 10+ years)
He strategically advocates for underserved veterans and their families, hold a position on the Delaware Gun Violence Task Force Committee, and strives to protect the rights of Delawareans as NABVETS State Commander. As a certified Veteran Services Officer—VSO, Nolan also has office hours at the Wilmington Veteran Affairs Medical Center and the 1212 Club in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Vice Commander/Vice President – Gregory Sutton
- Sergeant At Arms – Robert Drain
- Chaplain – Melvin Dill
- Secretary – Joyce Montague
- Treasurer – Rhonda Robinson
Command Council Advisory Board
- Guy , Samuel – Esquire & City Council-At-Large, City of Wilmington
- Johnson, Sr., Tyrone C. – Chief Executive Officer, Churches Take A Corner
- McDuffy, Louis – Pastor, Churches of Christ Worldwide Ministries, Inc.
The National Association for Black Veterans, Inc. provides strategic advocacy on behalf of its membership with Congress, the Federal Administration, State Administrations and other agencies and organizations. NABVETS also provides personal advocacy on behalf of veterans seeking claims against the United States Department of Veterans Affairs; advocacy for youth in all matters required for successful passage into adulthood; advocacy on behalf of families; with community involvement, provides advocacy in creating positive lifestyles for veterans; and to generate and preserve historical records.
“No matter where black veterans are or what they are doing, they recognize that they have a voice in NABVETS and, in that voice, an unyielding champion for justice; and that no matter what the issues or obstacles are, NABVETS will do all it can to protect their rights, promote their cause and restore their dignity; and, in so doing, empower those veterans to make a lasting and positive impact in their communities.”
We Are Yesterday. We Are Tomorrow. We Are Earth. We Are Sky. We Are All Things. But Most Of All, We Are Proud Men and Women Today!
Contact Nolan S. Lewis (information@nabvetsDE.org) for additional details on NABVETS Bylaws.